Re: ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 11:32:35 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Andrew Konstantinov wrote:

> As you can see, "nForce Memory Controller" is the major issue. If someone could
> point me in the direction where I could find some docs or useful articles on
> that topic, I'd be very thankful.

Its normal and expected.  FreeBSD doesn't have specific drivers or vanity
attachments for those chips, so they get no driver.  They don't need
drivers. :)

> The other rather troublesome part is with the "nForce MCP-T? SMBus Controller."
> I've included:
>
> device          smb                     # SMB
> device          smbus                   # SMBus
>
> in my kernel, but that didn't improve the situation even a bit. I guess
> generic drivers won't work in this case, but I haven't been able to find
> anything specific to NVIDIA. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

There are sets of chipset-specific power-management drivers, usually
ending in 'pm' (liket intpm and viapm).  Not sure if there is a nforcepm
that someone's written yet. Also nonfatal.

> And finally the last issue is with the "display." I have "GeForce MX
> 4000 Plus" graphics card which works perfecly with FreeBSD's base
> "nv(4)" driver, no problems whatsoever. So, I'm a little puzzled by this
> last issue. Perhaps installing ports/x11/nvidia-driver might help? I
> haven't tried it because from what I can tell after reading people's
> posts on the net, it's a very nasty behaved beast.

Also normal. Generally the display chips stay unattached so X or agp/dri
can come along later and grab them.

FreeBSD doesn't need to attach every single chip and function in the
system to work correctly.  We can add in 'vanity' attachments that make it
appear to attach to something, but it has no function other than to
appease paranoid people like you :)