Re: moving /usr to another partition

From: Scott E. Campbell <scampbel_at_gvpl.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:53:08 -0700
On July 5, 2004 02:42 pm, you wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Diskspace is running low, so I'd like to move my /usr to another
> disk. I was told that cp -Rv is not a good idea and i should use
> dump instead. The problem is: That disk is big and half-full and
> I don't want to empty it. Is it possible  to let restore work to
> a directory instead of a disk? Im not sure after reading the man
> page, google doesnt know either and I dont want to find out "the
> hard way". So i guessed it couldn't hurt to ask...
>
> If you have any hints or alternatives, please let me know!

I use "dump 0aLf - /usr | restore xf -"  which will dump the usr slice into
wherever you are at the moment.  If you are not using "current" then don't
use the "L" option since last I saw 4.x didn't have the option of the
snapshot of a live file system.

Others will let you know if there is a better way

Scott