Re: Native preemption is the culprit [was Re: today's CURRENT lockups]

From: Thorsten Greiner <thorsten_at_tgreiner.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:19:26 +0200
* Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org> [2004-07-06 08:21]:
> The patch below appears to (brute force) eliminate the crash/hang I'm
> experiencing with SCHED_ULE in the post-preemption universe.  However, I
> was experiencing it only in the SMP case, not UP, so it could be I'm just
> not triggering it timing-wise.  This would be a temporary fix until jhb is
> online again post-USENIX to take a look, assuming this works around the
> problem for people other than me.

It does work here (as did backing out the native preemption stuff).

> Note that this is probably damaging to interrupt processing latency.

I have not observed anything unusual with this patch. There are
seemingly no increases of build times for my projects and I did not
experience any interactivity glitches (no jumpy mouse or the like).

Regards
        -Thorsten

--
Those who in quarrels interpose, must often wipe a bloody nose.

This message is digitally signed. To verify its integrity, download a copy
of GnuPG for your operating system from http://www.gnupg.org .