Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 23:52:55 -0700
On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 11:22:58PM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> Not as long as you're on a system that supports it.  For example, OpenBSD
> doesn't have an m3 port for non-x86 platforms (at least not the last time I
> checked).  Although that doesn't directly relate to FreeBSD, it's does mean
> that cvsup probably isn't as widespread as it would be if it had a nice,
> portable C implementation.

I'm sorry, but I don't have a lot of sympathy for this situation.  It
would not take someone more than a weekend to get OpenBSD Alpha and
sparc64 support since these work just fine on FreeBSD.  Since 'ezm3' will
soon be GCC 3.2.3 based, PowerPC support for *BSD should not be hard.
The only major platform that will be an issue is AMD64.  I hope to be
able to pull off targeting AMD64 with the next release of 'ezm3'; but
there were some significant AMD64 bugs in GCC 3.2.3...

> Would there be any way to get most of cvsup's functionality out of rsync?  It
> wouldn't hurt my feelings if cvsup were replaced by rsync for the common
> cases (4-STABLE, 5-CURRENT, etc.).

Sure -- that's CVSup's "check out" mode; which Csup does.  So that gives
two "rsync-like" choices in 'C'. :-)

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)