Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 06:57:53 -0700
On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 08:25:17AM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 July 2004 03:23 am, Brad Knowles wrote:
>
> > I'm confused.  Once these applications are in binary form, what
> > difference does it make what language they were written in?
>
> You have to get it into binary first.  EZM3 is not available on many
> non-FreeBSD, non-Intel platforms.

This is a red herring.  This is the FreeBSD project.  Other
projects and OSes can do their own work.  They can then contribute
their work back to the EZM3 maintainer to provide the portability
you crave.

> I see that there is no cvsup binary package for ia64.  Does M3 build on that
> platform?  Do you suppose that "csup" will when it's finished?

How many active ia64 (and ppc) developers does the FreeBSD platform
have?  Well, there's Marcel.  Would you rather he work on the
kernel or ezm3?  You've suggested the modulo-3 is a dead language,
how would you categorize the ia64 architecture?

--
Steve