Re: bringing /etc/services up to date

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:25:58 -0700
On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 03:43:25AM -0700, Colin Percival wrote:
>   I've put together a patch to bring /etc/services up to date with
> almost a decade of IANA port assignments.  Unfortunately, this
> turned out to be rather larger than I expected: It adds 6400 lines,
> and increases the size of /etc/services from 73 kB to 327 kB.
>   Is anyone going to be very unhappy if I go ahead and commit this?

Can you check how much this change slows down inetd startup with a few
services enabled?  The traditional argument against this is that reading
the whole IANA service file takes too long.  If the difference isn't
measurable, the the argument is bogus, but I'm not sure that's the case.
The alternative solution would be to add optional database backing.
That shouldn't be too hard to do, and there are several examples to work
from.

-- Brooks