Re: Any way to debug a hard lockup?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:25:29 -0400 (EDT)
(Trimmed a slightly long CC list)

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> For the last few days, my amd64 box (Athlon 64 3200+, 5.2-CURRENT,
> updating just about daily lately) has been locking up hard fairly often,
> and I have no clue as to why.
>
> Checking the logs after rebooting reveals nothing at all out of the
> ordinary.  The box just "seizes up" and that's that.  Only thing to do
> is a power-down and restart.
>
> Changing from SCHED_ULE to SCHED_4BSD appears to make no difference at
> all.
>
> My other box, an older (32-bit) Athlon, has been rock stable.  I've been
> keeping both machines updated simultaneously to exactly the same
> revisions, using as near-identical system settings as possible also, the
> main difference being I'm running X.org/GNOME on the amd64 box and no X
> on the i386 box.
>
> Any suggestions?  Instinct tells me it may be a problem with some of the
> ports I'm running (X.org/GNOME, hence the Cc:s), but how to verify?
> Sure, I could run without X a while and see how it goes, but that still
> won't help to isolate the problem, if it is, in fact, port-related.

As already has been pointed out by others in this thread, a serial console
with BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER enabled is invaluable when debugging hangs, and
even more so when X11 may be involved.  If you're still unable to get into
a debugger using a serial break, much new server hardware supports
generating an NMI, sometimes using a nice web interface or IPMI.  This
will often be able to drop you into a debugger even when nothing else
works.  You can find a pretty decent chapter on setting up serial console,
serial port debugging, etc, in the handbook.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research