Re: today's CURRENT lockups

From: Don Lewis <truckman_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 02:26:40 -0700 (PDT)
On  8 Jul, Michael L. Hostbaek wrote:
> Don Lewis (truckman) writes:
>>
>> I got bit by this problem when I tried to do some browsing on my
>> Thinkpad R40 after my primary (4.10-STABLE) machine lost a disk.
>>
>> It's a July 5th kernel with SCHED_ULE, DDB, INVARIANTS, WITNESS, and
>> ACPI.
>
> Try to cvsup your sources, and rebuild your kernel. rwatson's commit to
> sched_ule.c (rev. 1.113) fix this issue for me.

I use cvsup in CVS mode maintain a local copy of the repository, and
then use cvs to update the local machines from that repository.  My copy
of the cvs repository lived on the dead disk.  I fired up mozilla on my
laptop to go shopping for a replacement disk ...

  There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
  There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, there's a hole.

I was able to salvage all the data and scrounged up a couple of
replacement disks, and when I loaded the data onto the new disks it
became apparent that there are some severe performace problems in the
filesystem code, probably in the inode and/or block allocators.
Restoring 5 GB of data to the cyrus imap spool directory that was also
on that disk took about 6 hours ...