Re: Current broken on my laptop (Toshiba Libretto 110CT)

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:32:09 -0400
On Wednesday 07 July 2004 02:48 pm, Nate Lawson wrote:
> Mark Murray wrote:
> > I've been hoping this was temporary instability, but it appears to
> > be here to stay.
> >
> > My Toshiba Libretto (ToPIC97 chipset) hangs hard on boot at a random
> > time with recent currents. Ie the hang can happen while the probes
> > are still happening or it can happen while the rc scripts are
> > running. I never get as far as being able to log in. This happens
> > with a range of BIOS options, and also with ACPI disabled. I have
> > the latest BIOS for my laptop (8.10).  I have tried it with no cards
> > in the PCMCIA/CardBus slots to no avail.
> >
> > The hang symptom is a hard hang with no keyboard response; I need
> > to hit reset or do a power-down.
> >
> > Enclosed is output from dmesg. Any suggestions?
>
> These parts of the dmesg look sketchy:
>  > psm0: unable to allocate IRQ
>  > atpic: No ELCR to configure IRQ12 as edge/high
>  > psmcpnp0 irq 12 on acpi0
>  > psm0: current command byte:0047
>  > psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
>  >
>  > sio0: irq maps: 0x1 0x11 0x11 0x11
>  > sio0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
>  > sio0: type 16550A
>  > atpic: No ELCR to configure IRQ4 as edge/high
>  >
>  > atpic: Ignoring invalid level/low configuration for IRQ13
>
> I'm guessing it's the atpic changes that are causing this.

Well, it's basically telling you that there is no ELCR to dink with to try and
do any changes, so it's not making any changes at all.  Using level/low for
IRQ 13 does seem very broken since IRQ 13 is used by npx0 and should be
edge/hi.  One thing to look at is to see if Linux thinks this box as an ELCR.