Re: Unicode locale

From: Tim Robbins <tjr_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:10:33 +1000
On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 03:07:45PM +0400, Eugene wrote:

> Hello Tim,
>
> TR> The base system has a UTF-8 version of every supported locale in 5.2-CURRENT,
> TR> but for previous releases (inc. 5.1), you'll have to install misc/utf8locale
> TR> from the ports collection.
>
> TR> Support for UTF-8 (and other multi-byte encodings) has been greatly improved
> TR> since 5.1 and 5.2, so you'd do well to upgrade to 5.3 when it's released.
>
> Thank you for the info!
> I installed this port.
> Have you any info about release dates of 5.3 version?

A date hasn't been decided yet, but it's likely to be 2-3 months yet.

> Do you know is there some upgrade guide from older encodings to utf-8?
> There's no problems for people worked in ASCII due to backward
> compatibility, but on my system there's files in 8-bit encodings like
> KOI8-R and windows-1251.
> What can you recommend me?

I don't know of any upgrade guides, but the converters/libiconv port
should be able to convert those files -- take a look at the iconv(1)
manual page after installing it, but basically:
iconv -f KOI8-R -t UTF-8 <oldfile >newfile

Tim