Re: via 8237 and above-udma33 problems

From: Jeff Fisher <jeff_at_jeffenstein.dyndns.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:19:58 +0200
On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:32:24PM +0300, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:26:08 +0200
> Divacky Roman <xdivac02_at_stud.fit.vutbr.cz> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I've got via 8237 ata driver with a new big seagate (ST3160023A) disk..
>
>  [ ... ]
>
> It seems that VIA8237 + Seagates + FreeBSD -CURRENT is a deadly
> combination. I ended up checnginh

For me, the ACPI code seems to be the culprit for the same symptoms.  Probably
in relation to the 8237.

I had problems first with UDMA, and the problem went away for a while when I
switched to PIO.  Eventually it came back, and nothing fixed it, not even
changing drives and controllers, updating, etc...  The system would hang for a
couple minutes, then dump core & reboot.  This always happened when ksh was
running, and the backtrace was the same every time:
#0  0xc0632f7b in doadump ()
(kgdb) backtrace
#0  0xc0632f7b in doadump ()
#1  0xc06334d7 in boot ()
#2  0xc063384e in panic ()
#3  0xc07e511c in trap_fatal ()
#4  0xc07e4dc2 in trap_pfault ()
#5  0xc07e49cd in trap ()
#6  0xc07d1d68 in calltrap ()
#7  0xc05ec23b in devfs_lookup ()
#8  0xc0681702 in lookup ()
#9  0xc06810ee in namei ()
#10 0xc068e282 in stat ()
#11 0xc07e5460 in syscall ()
#12 0xc07d1dbd in Xint0x80_syscall ()

Eventually I tried booting without ACPI enabled.  That was about two weeks
ago, and I haven't had a crash since then, when I was having crashes every 2-3
days before.  I still have to move back to the built-in IDE controllers, but
since I saw the same behaviour on all controllers, I'm pretty confident it
should work there without ACPI now...

My configuration:

VIA 8237 motherboard, WD 80GB ata drive & Plextor 52/24/52A CD-RW

$ uname -a
FreeBSD frogger.jeffnet 5.2.1-RELEASE-p8 FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p8 #2: \
    Fri Jun 18 23:23:26 CEST 2004 \
    root_at_frogger.jeffnet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FROGGER  i386

$ atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 1:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 2:
    Master:  ad4 <WDC WD800JB-00FMA0/13.03G13> ATA/ATAPI rev 6
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 3:
    Master: acd0 <PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W5224A/1.02> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
    Slave:       no device present

--
jeff_at_jeffenstein.dyndns.org     http://jeffenstein.dyndns.org/
PGP encrypted mail preferred.   Key id 0x19C987F5

	The people of Halifax also invented the harmonium, a device for
castrating pigs during Sunday service.
		-- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"