Re: A quick one (well, two actually)

From: Kent Stewart <kstewart_at_owt.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:13:25 -0700
On Saturday 10 July 2004 01:50 pm, lycanthrope wrote:
> hello
> a quick question:
> I cvsuped to current, did all that makeworld etc, and everything
> works perfectly :) now,i want to add some options to kernel. There is
> no need to do all the "world" proccess again,right? (I did no
> cvsuping since then). It is ok to just  "make buildkernel" and
> installkernel, right? I'm pretty sure that is OK, since (correct me
> if I'm wrong,please) "world" process is needed when upgrading,right?

It can also be dangerous to your system. There is an order that you are
supposed to go trough that you can see in /usr/src/UPDATING. You start
out doing a buildworld, build[install]kernel, reboot into single user
mode and do the installworld and mergemaster. The process is more
involved than that.

If the old kernel and the new userland are incompatable, you may have a
system that no longer will run in the mixed environment.

If all you do is "make world", you haven't built a new kernel to go
along with the world. You install the kernel and test it with the boot
to single user mode to give it a little test before you install the
world. If the new kernel panics, you can boot the old kernel and
continue just fine until they fix the problem.

If you haven't cvsuped and change a kernel parameter, you don't need to
do anything with the userland (world). You only have to build the new
kernel and install it. Once you reboot, you are using the new kernel.

> for the second question. every time I go upgrading my BSD system,
> entire "world" process is needed,no matter maybe a day passed since
> last cvsup-if I cvsup to newer, world is needed,right?

The safe way is to rebuild everything. Do you know enough to tell that a
change doesn't affect the userland (world) and the kernel. If you
don't, then you rebuild everything, everytime you cvsup src-all.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA