RE: ahc driver now borked in -current?

From: Daniel Eriksson <daniel_k_eriksson_at_telia.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:14:31 +0200
Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> OK, this is going to be a little hard to give all the right
> information
> for given that the symptoms I'm reporting don't even allow the box in
> question to get up far enough to generate useful debugging info, but
> I'll give it my best shot anyway.

Here's a me-too report with a slight twist:

Hardware:
---------
ASUS P2B-DS motherboard with 2 x 700MHz P3 and 1GB ECC memory
2 x 3COM 3c905C-TX NICs (xl driver)
1 x Intel 82559 Pro/100 NIC (fxp driver)
1 x HighPoint 1540 SATA card (HPT374 chipset, default ata driver)
 - no SCSI devices connected to the onboard Adaptec aic7890/91 Ultra2 SCSI
controller
 - 9GB ATA disc hooked up to the onboard Intel PIIX4 UDMA33 controller (boot
disc)
 - 4 x 120GB Maxtor SATA discs hooked up to the HighPoint card (vinum RAID-5
array)

Software, semi-working configuration:
-------------------------------------
FreeBSD 5-CURRENT, 2004.06.29.09.00.00
SHED_4BSD, SMP+apic, CPUTYPE?=p3 (but no custom CFLAGS/COPTFLAGS)
ACPI enabled
This combination seems pretty stable. I have never been able to boot with
the SATA discs connected (machine hangs hard just before the discs should be
listed/probed), but booting with no SATA discs and then plugging them in
after boot and running "atacontrol reinit X" works fine.

Software, non-working configuration:
------------------------------------
FreeBSD 5-CURRENT, 2004.07.09.00.00.00
SHED_4BSD, SMP+apic, CPUTYPE?=p3 (but no custom CFLAGS/COPTFLAGS)
 - With ACPI enabled the machine reboots as soon as it starts to probe for
devices/cards (very early in the boot message). I don't have a serial
console so I don't know exactly what scrolls by, but it looks like a panic
message during interrupt routing followed immediately by a reboot.
 - With ACPI disabled the machine boots (provided no SATA discs are
connected, see above), but hangs with some message about "IPI stuck" during
heavy load (sorry, I wasn't around to take down the exact message).

Attached is the dmesg from the semi-working configuration.

/Daniel Eriksson