Re: 5.2.1 p9 --> 5.2 current 20040708 upgrade ATA_IDENTIFY no interrupt

From: Bruce M Simpson <bms_at_spc.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:29:57 +0100
On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 10:43:21AM -0400, jhandvil wrote:
> > > ata0-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY no interrupt
> > > ata0-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY no interrupt
> > > Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> > > setrootbyname failed
> > > ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
> > > Root mount failed: 6

This is a very, very similar situation to what I've just observed on
several IBM ThinkPad T41 systems with the Panasonic UJDA755 CDRW module!

Please post as much information about your hardware configuration as you
can; please also see my recent posts to -mobile for descriptions of how
to pull a backtrace in the situation where your machine faults and drops
into the debugger without the ability to 'call doadump'.

I now strongly suspect we have a bug in ata(4). I will backtrack through
green_at_'s recent commits concerning atapicam as I think this may tell
part of the story (he identified some other issues and suggested fixes,
I have a hunch he is on a similar track).

I'm in a debugging session now and will post further results of my findings
on -mobile.

Regards,
BMS