Re: nevermind Re: allocating a spare from kinfo_proc.

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 01:23:28 -0400
At 9:50 PM -0700 7/11/04, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>Sorry, got this done now.
>
>tested on sparc64, alpha and i386.
>
>* Alfred Perlstein <alfred_at_freebsd.org> [040711 21:15] wrote:
>>  I would like to allocate a void * "user pointer" from struct
>>  kinfo_proc.
>>
>  > This is for convience of programs that want to retrieve a
>  > kinfo_proc but also compute some information and hang it
>  > from the kinfo proc.

Fwiw, /bin/ps does this by creating it's own struct which has a
'struct kinfo_proc' as one variable inside of it.  However, this
means that `ps' has to copy all the kinfo_proc's that the kernel
returns into an array of these other structs.  Depending on what
the program is doing with those kinfo_proc's, this new variable
would probably make more sense.

>  > Are there any guidelines for adjusting this struct that I
>  > should be aware of?

It would be nice to make sure that alignment issues are not wasting
space on *any* of the platforms.  When I made my recent changes to
user.h, I had a program which printed out all the variables and
their alignments.  If I have time this week I will update that
program and see what it says on the different hardware platforms.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org