Re: buildworld fails

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 04:13:40 -0500
On 07/12/04 03:57, Ilker OZUPAK wrote:
> when i try to buildworld using "CPUTYPE=p4" i get errors in
> lib/libc/gen/getnetgrant.c. i got the same error in both
> -march=pentium4 and mcpu=pentium4 cases

<snip>
> CFLAGS= -O3 -pipe -mcpu=pentium4

Um... have you tried not using -O3?  As far as I know, -O2 and below
should work.

I use the following:
CPUTYPE= p4
CFLAGS= -Os -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -Os -pipe

Although it is slightly broken (don't use it with
(xfree86|xorg)-libraries, for example), I find -Os gives the best
performance on my p4.  In case you haven't heard of it, -Os includes all
the optimizations from -O2 that don't increase code size and
additionally optimizes for size.  I think the extra performance over -O2
is due to better cache hit rates, but that's just idle speculation.

Perhaps I don't know something everyone else knows, but I'm surprised
more people don't benchmark -Os.

Jon