Re: Whay is broken ATARAID that ignored?

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h_at_schmalzbauer.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:09:03 +0200
Am Montag, 12. Juli 2004 18:56 schrieb Gabriel Ambuehl:
> Hi Harald Schmalzbauer,
> you wrote.
>
> HS> The man page still claims to support these controllers. But they've
> never HS> really been. As soon as one drive fails, the support fails
> because no rebuild HS> is possible (with -stable).
>
> It is. However, you will have to detach and attach the channel with
> the failed drive (after replacing it) so the controller knows there is
> a drive to be rebuilt on (now it would make more sense if ataraid was
> smart enough to figure that out itself but alas, it's not). Then try
> rebuild again.

But only if you replace the drive or  null-out the first sectors. If the drive
comes back after a reboot (the same drive) then you end up having two raid
arrays.
That's not what I call a working raid support!

> As to Silicon Image, well that's pure, utter crap. Doesn't even work
> with vendor provided W2K drivers on that platform.
>
> HS> People like me take these man pages as reference and purchase hardware
> which HS> is said to be supported.
>
> It IS supported (in stable, anyhow, can't comment about recent
> CURRENT).

No, if you create a raid array with the controllers BIOS FreeBSD doesn't care
about. Also of you Shutdown the machine, power on the machine, modify files,
power down, reconnect the drive and power up again FreeBSD (and the
controller) don't recognice the broken mirror and FreeBSD ist panicing!
Regardless wether it's the vendors fault or the ataraid fault, it doesn't work
so this should be mentioned!

> HS> Or fix it. At least there should be a note in UPDATING. It's horrible
> to find HS> out that suddenly the system doesn't detect ar0 any more!!!
> HS> And nobody cares about for over two weeks.......
>
> Well I do agree the rebuild procedure should be described better.
>
> If you want a troublefree (S)ATA RAID solution, nothing beats the
> 3Ware cards. But cheap they aren't.

I know and I have one running here, but that's not a reason to list
controllers as working when they are not.
Not to mention the completely broken ataraid in -current.

-Harry