Re: CPUTYPE=p4 & kernel config

From: Ilker OZUPAK <ilker.ozupak_at_emu.edu.tr>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:59:45 +0300

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 11:38, I wrote: (and made a typo)
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:17:56 -0400 (EDT)
>
> Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Ilker OZUPAK wrote:
> > > is there any kernel options that is mandatory for the
> > > "CPUTYPE=p4" case. anything to be addded to GENERIC
> > > or to not to be removed.
> >
> > Your CPU qualifies for the I686_CPU cpu directive. You may consider
> > commenting out I{4,5}86_CPU if you are not concerned with having the
> > kernel boot on older machines. You may also want to add "options
> > CPU_ENABLE_SSE".
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andy
>
> 'CPU_ENABLE_SSE' is automatically enabled when the kernel is compiled
> with 'cpu I686_CPU'.

so here are two different configs
<conf_1>
machine i386
cpu I486_CPU
cpu I586_CPU
cpu I686_CPU
</conf_1>

<conf_2>
machine i386
cpu I686_CPU
</conf_2>

for the first config i should enable it manually. (for a P4 machine)

and in second one it is enabled by default so i dont need to add enable
to kern. conf

should i put options CPU_DISABLE_SSE for P2 and P3 machines?

would not using disable option on a p2 machine with kern. conf like
*******                  enable                  p4
second couse any ill effects? like not being able to run the binaries
 compiled with -march=pentium4 ...

and is this enable disable automaticly has anything to do with CPUTYPE option
on the /etc/make.conf

- - --
ilker