Re: CVSUP and 5.2.1 RELEASE

From: Jon Disnard <diz_at_linuxpowered.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:37:49 -0500
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>In message <p06110411bd19eadd8741_at_[128.113.24.47]>, Garance A Drosihn writes:
>

>>"make world" performs a sequence of operations which are expressly
>>wrong.  Why we have a WRONG target is a better question than how
>>much work it would be to change the documentation.
>>

>This is news to me.
>
>I have been involved in FreeBSD since we created the ncvs repository
>ten years and two months ago and barring minor mistakes here and
>there "make world" has performed the correct sequence of operations
>since then.

As an example, I think of the (20031112) statfs entry in UPDATING.
What is the sequence of "make world" again? What caused so many problems
during the statfs updates, was it not partly because of "make world"?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that "make
world" does not have this sequence:
make buildkernel
make buildworld
mergemaster -p
make installkernel
init 6
boot -s
cd /usr/src && {
make installworld
mergemaster
}
exit

If "make world" has the notion of sequentially building everything
(kernel & world), and sequentially installing everything, then Houston
we have a problem. In that case "make world" is only suitable for
building a jail, or release engineering.

-Jon