Re: CVSUP and 5.2.1 RELEASE

From: Drew Broadley <drew_at_corrupt.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:18:36 +1200
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> If you sit back for a moment and think about the number of barriers
>
>a user must already scale to get to the point of typing "make world",
>then I think you will see that adding 27 extra characters is not
>going to change anything.  In particular not when compared the the
>number of places we have to change (to the extent we can) documentation
>which mentions "make world".
>
>You might as well try to change the shape of the carinals hats.

It's about breaking habits (humans are cronic for retaining bad ones).

I see his point, it's just a little to in the end stop a lot of confusion.

If you are so much so complaining about the lack of 27 extra characters
typed by users/admins, I'm very sure it isn't that much more effort to
put in the addition of 27+ characters to the Makefile for the developers
to make a safety net for people whom are accustomed to "make world".
This will remind them with a high level of VERBOSE, that they need to
read /usr/src/UPDATING.

My two cents.

- Drew