Re: CVSUP and 5.2.1 RELEASE

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:23:38 -0400
At 11:24 PM +0200 7/13/04, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>In message <20040713212056.GA82311_at_pit.databus.com>, Barney Wolff writes:
>  >On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 11:14:01PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>  >
>  > Could you please enlighten the rest of us as to when the
>  > sequence of operations performed by "make world" is a useful
>  > thing to do?
>
>I've said that already in earlier email:
>	make world DESTDIR=/some_jail

a) how about if we print a warning and exit if DESTDIR is
    not defined?  Are there "important" uses of `make world'
    which do not use DESTDIR?

b) I still don't see how this would be hurt if the target had
    a different name.  Yes, there is an issue of documentation,
    but I still think the following point is important:

>   >  ... and I find it hard to imagine that happens often enough
>   >  to weigh against the continual damage to new users from
>   >  this deceptively inviting target.

Yes, maybe it is the user's fault.  That does not mean that the
best action is for us to leave this foot-shooting, and deceptively
inviting target the way it is.  Every time I see some user with a
system that was trashed from this target, I can't help but think
that we should try to do SOMETHING about it.

And if we leave behind a "make world" target which tells the user
what is going on, then I do not agree that we must fix all 10**64
pages of documentation before we try to save users from trashing
their own freebsd systems.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org