Re: Renaming sound drivers

From: Seigo Tanimura <tanimura_at_tanimura.dyndns.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:29:31 +0900
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:36:12 -0700 (PDT),
  Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com> said:

dwhite> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Seigo Tanimura wrote:
>> I am planning to rename the sound drivers as follows:
>>

>> - `sound'
>>
>> The generic sound driver, including pcm and midi (to come).
>>
>> - `snd_*'
>>
>> The device-dependent drivers, named after the sound driver modules at
>> this moment.
>>

>> This scheme eliminates unwanted device-dependent drivers (about 260KB
>> in my case) from your kernel.

dwhite> If you need said drivers, how do you compile them in?  Up until now,
dwhite> unless you load modules, you don't know which one you grab.

The patch adds all of the sound drivers into NOTES, so all you need is
to copy them into your kernel configuration.

Alternatively, it may be better to add the sound drivers into GENERIC,
as the USB drivers do.

dwhite> This patch seems somewhat gratuitous.

--
Seigo Tanimura <tanimura_at_tanimura.dyndns.org> <tanimura_at_FreeBSD.org>