Re: Stack backtrace: how can I help?

From: Sven Willenberger <sven_at_dmv.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:30:56 -0400
On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 01:30 +0200, Mark Santcroos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 03:34:05PM -0400, Sven Willenberger wrote:
> > Under heavy loads, on 5.2.1-P8 systems, I get a Stack backtrace relating
> > to flushing dirty buffers (ffs_fsync).
>
> Best would be if you first try to reproduce it on another machine.
>
> If you are able to reproduce it on another machine using the same freebsd
> version, next what you should do is upgrade that machine to the latest
> -current and try to reproduce it again.
>
> If you then still get the panic I will look at it on my own machine.
>
> Thanks

FreeBSD -current July 1, 2004 :00:00:00 (prior to the whole preemption
deal)

Stack backtrace:
backtrace(c4155300,1,f2b01c14,f2b01c00,c05f0dec) at backtrace+0x12
getdirtybuf(f2b01bf0,0,1,e18437b0,1) at getdirtybuf+0x2c
flush_deplist(c41559cc,1,f2b01c14) at flush_deplist+0x30
flush_inodedep_deps(c26a6000,5c0a1,c06d1bf8,f2b01c60,c050238c) at
flush_inodedep_deps+0x82
softdep_sync_metadata(f2b01cb0) at softdep_sync_metadata+0x76
ffs_fsync(f2b01cb0) at ffs_fsync+0x332
fsync(c2d0ab00,f2b01d14,1,1b1,286) at fsync+0x10b
syscall(2f,282d002f,bfbf002f,0,80e6440) at syscall+0x217
Xint0x80_syscall() at Xint0x80_syscall+0x1f
--- syscall (95), eip = 0x282726bb, esp = 0xbfbf9dcc, ebp = 0xbfbfb768
---

Again this occured during an onslaught of email and the machine did not
recover. It did backtrace after backtrace until it exhausted memory and
swap space. Latest perl (5.8.4) with all modules rebuilt against it.
Spamassassin/spamd and running spa

Top part of kernel config file:

# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.405 2004/05/28 00:22:59
tackerman Exp $

machine         i386
cpu             I486_CPU
cpu             I586_CPU
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           GENERIC

# To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
#hints          "GENERIC.hints"         # Default places to look for
devices.

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug
symbols

options         SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
options         INET                    # InterNETworking
options         INET6                   # IPv6 communications protocols
options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates
support
options         UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control
lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big
directories
options         MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root device
options         NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem Client
options         NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
options         NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires
NFSCLIENT
options         MSDOSFS                 # MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires
PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         GEOM_GPT                # GUID Partition Tables.
options         COMPAT_43               # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         SCSI_DELAY=5000         # Delay (in ms) before probing
SCSI
options         KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in
debug
                                        # output.  Adds ~128k to driver.
options         AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in
debug
                                        # output.  Adds ~215k to driver.
options         PFIL_HOOKS              # pfil(9) framework

# KVM
options         VM_KMEM_SIZE_SCALE="2"
options         VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX="(512*1024*1024)"
#options        KVA_PAGES=512

# Debugging for use in -current
options         DDB                     # Enable the kernel debugger
options         DDB_UNATTENDED
options         INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity
checking
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of
internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
options         WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect
deadlocks and cycles
options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on spinlocks
for speed

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options         SMP             # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
device          apic            # I/O APIC

Sven