Re: CVSUP and 5.2.1 RELEASE

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:36:15 -0400
At 9:45 AM -0500 7/14/04, Kirk Strauser wrote:
>On Tuesday 2004-07-13 05:23 pm, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>
>>  a) how about if we print a warning and exit if DESTDIR is
>>      not defined?  Are there "important" uses of `make world'
>>      which do not use DESTDIR?
>
>And again, how does "make world DESTDIR=/foo" differ from
>"make buildworld DESTDIR=/foo"?
>
>I've been getting several hundred hits per month to:
>
>     http://subwiki.honeypot.net/cgi-bin/view/Freebsd/BuildAndUpdateJails
>
>Have I been giving the wrong advice?

Your instructions look fine to me, since you do also include the
`make installworld DESTDIR=/foo' as a separate step.  Some people
are just used to a single-step version, and that works fine for
them so they see no reason to change to multiple steps that (for
them) will produce no benefit.

It is not that your instructions are wrong, it is that your
instructions involve more typing, and for some people that extra
typing does not gain them anything.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org