Re: [TEST/REVIEW/HEADSUP] tty drivers mega-patch

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:46:35 -0700
On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 11:38:57AM -0700, Don Lewis wrote:

> > Seriously: the origin of cua is mostly lost and systems like UUCP
> > have already been removed from the source tree. Anybody new to
> > FreeBSD and who hasn't been around since the epoch will completely
> > fail to see why the device is called the way it is.
>
> I still use cu(1), though I don't know why the man page suggests using
> the /dev/ttyXX device.  The /etc/remote file uses the cua device.

I use cu(1) too, but always with the -l option. Probably because I'm
too lazy to setup a system name.

Also: the fact that we have fingerfriendly shortcuts in /etc/remote
as well as calling them that way is sufficient indication that cua*
is just plain non-obvious and ackward to a lot of users.

--
 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel_at_xcllnt.net