Re: 5.3-RELEASE TODO

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:41:53 -0600
Tim Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 03:20:19PM -0700, Colin Percival wrote:
>
>>At 15:04 15/07/2004, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>>
>>>* linprocfs
>>>[...]
>>>      if (pvd->pvd_pid != NO_PID) {
>>>               if ((proc = pfind(pvd->pvd_pid)) == NULL)
>>>                       PFS_RETURN (ENOENT);
>>>-->             vap->va_uid = proc->p_ucred->cr_ruid;
>>>
>>>rwatson has a patch that works around this particular null pointer
>>>deref, but the underlying cause is not addressed.
>>
>>This looks like the "embryonic processes are added to allproc and
>>p_hash too soon" bug (cf. kern/68364).  Last I heard, tjr was going
>>to fix this in the next few days.
>

> I was going to, but it turns out that my original solution of not
> putting "embryonic" processes on allproc would further break checkdirs() --
> there are already a few kinds of races that can happen there, and I don't
> want to add more.
>

> Tim

Please don't take this the wrong way, but would you consider using a
null-modem serial cable and SLIP or PPP instead?  PLIP has been
neglected nice it was first introduced, and I doubt that it has much
life left.  Setting up SLIP and PPP is trivially easy and has a much
better chance of working between OS's.

Scott