Re: ACPI degrading.. ?

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:47:28 -0500
On 07/15/04 22:59, Jon Noack wrote:
> On 07/15/04 22:49, Robert Watson wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Jon Noack wrote:
>>> Come to think of it, all of my hard lockups were when Firefox was
>>> running. I think (some of) the issues native preemption uncovered
>>> are related to threading. In any case, I commented out "#define
>>> PREEMPTION" in src/sys/<ARCH>/include/param.h and rebuilt my kernel
>>> so it would stay up for more than 30 minutes.
>>
>> I've also drawn the same conclusion -- to trigger the hangs, I run MySQL
>> with a threaded benchmark.  Otherwise, things seem fairly stable on my
>> test boxes.  Could you try running with PREEMPTION and using libthr
>> instead of libkse and see if you get the same result?
>
> I'm rebuilding my kernel with PREEMPTION and will add the following
> "global" values to /etc/libmap.conf before I reboot:
> libpthread.so.1       libthr.so.1
> libpthread.so         libthr.so
>
> I'll let you know how things pan out -- shouldn't be too long.

Worked great with Firefox until I started XMMS.  Everything was fine
when I started playing an mp3, but it locked up hard when I switched to
another desktop (had a Firefox window on the desktop I was switching to;
it painted the Firefox widgets but hadn't repainted the webpage I was
viewing before the lockup).

Looks like it's thread library independent too.

Jon