Re: acpi_video without suspending

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:56:15 -0500
Brad Davis wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a Dell Inspirion 5150 running current from a few weeks ago and I'd
>like to set it up so when I close the lid it doesn't go into suspend but
>just turns off the display. I have set
>
>hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S0
>
>Which effectively stops the machine from suspending. But since the display
>doesn't go off its putting out quite a bit of heat into a very small
>inclosed space.

You could use devd, like this:

Put this in /etc/devd.conf (or change as necessary):
notify 10 {
        match "system"          "ACPI";
        match "subsystem"       "Lid";
        action                  "/etc/rc.lid $notify";
};

and have /etc/rc.lid contain:
sync && sync && sync

if [ $1 = 0x00 ]; then
        logger -t Lid Close at `date +'%Y%m%d %H:%M:%S'`
        ( sleep 2 ; ataidle -s 0 0) &
        sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=0
else
        logger -t Lid Open at `date +'%Y%m%d %H:%M:%S'`
        sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=1
fi

Make sure your lid state is '1' on bootup.. You can just force it to 1
if you need to in sysctl.conf or something..

Eric

Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.