Re: spin lock sched lock held by 0xffffff007b712250 for > 5 seconds

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:21:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

> After todays kernelbuild the system seem to be a lot better...
> It can take quite some buildworld abuse, but still:
>
> spin lock sched lock held by 0xffffff007b712250 for > 5 seconds
> panic: spin lock held too long
> cpuid = 1;
> KDB: enter: panic
>
> But I'm not shure what I could/should do now, since the KDB
> introduction.  Normally I'd expect to see:  db>

We have trouble entering the debugger when in a critical section/and or
have sched_lock held -- I think this is because we try to halt the other
CPUs and that gets nastily stuck in some form.  We need to fix this.

This could well be a symptom of some of the other hangs we've been seeing,
and I've seen similar things on my test box with preemption enabled.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research