Re: 5.3-RELEASE TODO

From: Allan Fields <bsd_at_afields.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:21:43 -0400
On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 09:18:29PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> Scott Long wrote:
> >Tim Robbins wrote:

> [...]

> Ok, I've officially been in front of the computer for too long today.
> This response was actually meant for a different message.  Sorry for the
> confusion.
>
> Scott

Hmm.. on a hunch I'll assume this was meant for the plip thread on
-current ;)

> >Please don't take this the wrong way, but would you consider using a
> >null-modem serial cable and SLIP or PPP instead?  PLIP has been
> >neglected nice it was first introduced, and I doubt that it has much
> >life left.  Setting up SLIP and PPP is trivially easy and has a much
> >better chance of working between OS's.
> >
> >Scott

I can set that up yeah, I used plip since I assumed it would be
faster than ppp over serial line.  I've been getting at most
~60 KBps.

My only reservation in removing this would be, it came in handy
and still primarily works.  It's useful absent any other link but
imposes a large overhead.  Should this driver still use splhigh()?

I'll also note that even NetBSD seems to omit plip support at the
moment.   So I'll take that as a prophetic nod from the code-reaper.

Funny thing is now I'm having trouble reproducing the IP header
problem.. could it be cable/hardware that was the culprit?

> Scott

Thanks..
  Allan