Kernel preemption leads to SATA instability (how to debug?)

From: Daniel Eriksson <daniel_k_eriksson_at_telia.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 02:43:52 +0200
Hi, I'm getting SATA instability on my system with kernel preemption
enabled. When accessing the SATA discs at the same time as other discs (for
example during a fsck of all file systems on the machine) it only takes a
few seconds for the SATA discs to start reporting things like this:

Interrupt storm detected on "irq20: atapci4"; throttling interrupt source
ad20: FAILURE - already active DMA on this device
ad20: setting up DMA failed

This is on a recent kernel (2004.07.18.05.00.00), but it's been like this
ever since the kernel preemption stuff was turned on again a few weeks ago.
With preemption disabled (by editing param.h) the system seems to be stable,
but somewhat sluggish (a simple bzip2 compress operation can generate a load
average of 10+).

How would I go about debugging this? Any hints would be appreciated. I do
have KDB/DDB and debug symbols compiled in, but the machine is a production
machine so I cannot afford long debugging sessions unfortunately.

Attached is the dmesg.boot and kernel config file. Below are some settings
that might be interesting from other files:

/etc/sysctl.conf
----------------
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=524288
kern.ipc.somaxconn=1024