Panic while unloadking if_ndis

From: Samuel Stringham <me_at_samuelstringham.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:26:43 -0500
Long time troller, first time poster.

I have a LinkSYS DWL 520+ wireless B PCI card.  This is the card with the
Broadcom chipset, rather than the earlier 520s with the prism2 chipset.  I am
pretty sure it is supposed to use the if_ndis driver.  However, I am unable to
get the driver to work correctly.  Upon loading the module, it does not attatch
ndis0 to the pci card (I found this by looking at pciconf -lv).  I can load and
unload the module with no problems.  However, if I run 'ifconfig ndis0', it
says something along the lines of:

ifconfig: interface ndis0 does not exist

If I then run 'kldunload if_ndis' I get the following panic:

fault virtual address   = 0xc29f90e1
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc29f90e1
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xe2ea1d0c
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xe2ea1d1c
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 801 (ndis swi)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
syncing disks . . .  etc.

Please excuse any typing mistakes, but I had to fat-finger the above.  The
error is replicable on my machine.  Attached is a transcript of my loading the
module, and looking at pciconf.  Also in there is my full dmesg to aid in
finding the possible problem.  My ndis_driver_data.h was generated with the
ndiscvt from -CURRENT as of 1900 CDT yesterday.  In fact everything (world and
kernel) were both built from the -CURRENT as of 1900 yesterday.  The files
used for my ndiscvt were WMP11NDS.[sys|inf].

Please help me get this wonderful ndis-based card working correctly.

Best regards,

Samuel Stringham