[amd64] System lockups still continuing

From: Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:09:19 -0500 (CDT)
On 19-Jul-2004 Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> On 18-Jul-2004 Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>> > I had posted several weeks ago about constant hard lockups of my
>> > amd64 box.  At first, I attributed the problem to GNOME, then to
>> > my kernel config, but now it appears to me that the problem
>> > really lies with Mozilla/Firefox.
>>
>> Well, another theory bites the dust.  I tried running GNOME
>> yesterday, never touched Mozilla or Firefox, and the system locked
>> up while doing some file management chores in Nautilus.
>>
>> It must be something low-level in GNOME, some shared library,
>> probably, but I have yet to track it down.
>
> I have lost track of the full thread and this mail list is not
> tracked by google :-(, so this may have been ruled out. Are you sure
> that it's not the preemption problem that is biting you? This applies
> to CURRENT systems only, so may not be applicable to what you are
> seeing, the symptoms are a match.

Hmm, you may be right.  Is there any workaround for this?  I've tried
both SCHED_ULE and SCHED_4BSD, both producing the same results.

What's strange is that this only seems to occur when either running a
full-blown GNOME desktop or using some GNOME-related app under another
environment.

I'm currently working under KDE, just for comparison, and no such
problems have occurred, unless I try using, say, Mozilla or Firefox.

I'll Cc: this to current and see what they think.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"