Re: HEADS UP [Re: thread+preemption stability improvement]

From: John Birrell <jb_at_cimlogic.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:01:54 +1000
On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:34:32AM +0400, Maxim Maximov wrote:
> 	I think it is needed :( Things actually get _much_ better, now I've
> been able to use my big IMAP folders, but still after applying the patch
> and working about an hour mozilla freezes with the same sympthoms (cpu
> fan gets spinning faster and faster as if cpu temperature is raising).
> Are there any ways I can help track this down further?
> 	Preemption is enabled, of course. My kernel's config is latest
> 	GENERIC with these additions:

Even with PREEMPTION disabled, current freezes for me with a threaded application
with lots of sendfiles in progress. I haven't figured out the set of conditions
that actually trigger the freeze other than it never freezes if I have no
libpthread application running (and loaded to some degree).

I wonder if anyone has had current under load and if so, in what situations.
It looks like this code base is a long way away from being ready for a stable
branch. Grumble. The gap between 4 and 5 is too big. Not happy. At some point
people need to concentrate on stability. I would concede API changes for
stability any day. Every day.

--
John Birrell