RE: HEADS UP [Re: thread+preemption stability improvement]

From: Daniel Eriksson <daniel_k_eriksson_at_telia.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:50:42 +0200
Scott Long wrote:

> Thanks for the report.  I'm sure that there is a bug of some
> sort in the
> ATA driver that is being exposed by PREEMPTION, but I'm also going to
> consider turning off preemption in the next day or two since
> this isn't
> the only lingering problem.

I don't know if my SATA problems are at all related to the problems I've
seen with GBDE, GEOM stripe, GEOM vinum and "old" vinum, but I probably
should mention them. They show up with or without preemption turned on.

* GEOM BDE disc encryption seems to work, until it's time to tear it down
and reboot the machine. It always claims the device is busy when I try to
unmount the file system, and if I use the -f flag to unmount it panics the
machine. Skipping the unmount results in a panic during shutdown.

* GEOM stripe made all discs that were part of ataraid arrays time out when
I tried to create a simple striped array (from two single discs). Since the
system was live, and processes were accessing the ataraid arrays, the
machine eventually panicked in some vfs function.

* GEOM vinum starts up fine, but as soon as I start accessing arrays (raid-1
and raid-0) it looses its discs, crashing the arrays.

* "old" vinum panics with a dangling vnode (when it starts up) if I run a
normal boot. If I boot single-user and then manually start vinum it works
fine.

/Daniel Eriksson