Re: HEADS UP [Re: thread+preemption stability improvement]

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:56:43 -0700
> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:13:48 -0600
> From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I just rebuilt my kernel and the problem is back. :-(
> >
> > I sure hope peter or Scott can figure this out soon. The kernel has now
> > changed enough that backing off the 4 files I was backing off is no
> > longer adequate, so I am again running with preemption turned off.
> >
> > System is P4-M 1.8 GHz UP with SCHED_ULE. It reliably dies on a
> > buildworld.
>
> Does it work better if you remove the PREEMPTION define in
> /sys/i386/include/param.h?

Scott,

That's how I built my current kernel and it's at least fairly painful It
does not freeze any longer, but the interactivity is poor. I'm not sure
if it's as bad as last time I tried, but my editor freezes for seconds
at a time and then catches up once something gets scheduled. (I think
it's the X server and not the editor that is the issue.)

It's better than the freezes, but it's pretty painful.

I can provide configs, logs (nothing there, though) or any other
information.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)