Re: NEW TAR

From: Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:14:00 +0200
Am 20.07.2004 um 10:10 schrieb Peter Jeremy:

> Actually, it's not possible to accurately determine the holes in a
> file by reading it - you can't differentiate between a hole and a
> allocated block of zeroes.  What you need is a (new) syscall that
> invokes a new VOP_... and returns a bitmap of allocated blocks.  This
> would be non-trival unfortunately.

This one point that has been made a number of times in the past, and
one I don't understand:

There are no sparse files as far as the userland is concerned; it's an
optimization that remains invisible, apart from space and/or
performance savings.

For the extraction process, it should be sufficient to seek over any
extended range of zeros. When packaging files that might have holes in
them, it'll certainly be nice if there was a way to skip reading all
those zeros in, but that's just an optimization.

The way you describe it (and others have before), it sounds like the
holes were an attribute of the file that should be preserved by tar (or
any other archiver); I believe it's not.  Preserving them in the way
your post can be read is problematic: what if the
block/allocation/cluster/fragment size of the extraction target differs
from the source?  How far would you need to acertain compatible
allocation semantics between both filesystems?

Since this has come up multiple times in the past, I feel I'm missing
some important detail, and I'd appreciate if someone would enlighten
me.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>   Fon +49 170 346 0140