Re: FAILURE - ATAPI_RESET no interrupt in newer current

From: Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:22:29 -0500 (CDT)
On 20-Jul-2004 Andreas Kohn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I updated my -CURRENT from ~July 5 to July 20 sources. After
> reboot with the new kernel, I saw this:
>
> ata1-master: FAILURE - ATAPI_RESET no interrupt
> acd0: CDRW <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R1002> at ata1-master WDMA2
>
> With the old kernel, die FAILURE message was not there, but the acd0
> was running in WDMA2 mode as well.

The mode seems to have no bearing on this issue; I get the same in
either PIO4 or WDMA2 modes.

> This is a
> atapci0: <VIA 8235 UDMA133 controller> port
> 0xfc00-0xfc0f,0x376,0x170-0x177,0x3f6,0x1f0-0x1f7 at device 17.1 on
> pci0 controller.
>
> Is this message to be expected, or should I worry about anything?

I'm seeing the same (and this is not the first time someone has
reported this, either).

The drive works normally, it seems, at least for a while.  Last night,
I tried playing a DVD in mplayer, and it worked fine until the whole
machine suddenly hung.  Hard to say whether or not this is an
ata/atapi issue, or maybe due to the other, well-known preemption
problem that's being discussed here lately.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"