Re: NEW TAR

From: Harti Brandt <harti_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:02:44 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Daniel Lang wrote:

DL>To Harti:
DL>I admit I don't know for sure, but to my understanding the handling
DL>of the sparse file is done in the filesystem layer and not in the
DL>application, right? Then all possible performance benefit on reading
DL>a sparse file should be gained anyway. Regardless if the application
DL>(the archiver) knows about the locations of the gaps or not....

I know of at least one application that does sparse file handling in the
sense that it tries to create sparse file when the underlying FS supports
it - that is my PDP11 emulator. I have even a special zcp utility that
may re-sparse a file by copying it and looking for 0 blocks. It's not that
p11 depends on the file system supporting sparse files - it just tries to
use them if they are available.

Again, for tar it's a matter of speed. Didn't Tim say that with the
current sparse file info layout (gtar) he needs more than one pass over
the file?

harti