Re: nanosleep returning early

From: Bruce Evans <bde_at_zeta.org.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:28:52 +1000 (EST)
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, John Birrell wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 11:01:20PM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:

> > The most obvious bug is that nanosleep() uses the low-accuracy interface
> > getnanouptime().  I can't see why the the problem is more obvious with
> > large HZ or why it affects short sleeps.  From kern_time.c 1.170:
> > % 	getnanouptime(&ts);
> >
> > This may lag the actual (up)time by 1/HZ seconds.

The inaccuracy of the "get" time functions is actually tc_tick/HZ seconds,
where tc_tick is 1 for small values of HZ but is scaled to give an
inaccuracy of 1 mS for large values of HZ or can be adjusted using sysctl
to give almost any inaccuracy that you want.  But this makes no difference
until HZ exceeds 1000 or you use the sysctl.

> For any NTP clock adjustment to have an effect, it must happen between
> the time when my (crude) test gets the time and when the kernel calls
> getnanouptime to fill ts. All the rest of the code in nanosleep1()
> refers back to the value of ts. Any errors involved in the tv and hz
> conversions would just cause the code to go around the loop and tsleep
> more than once.

ts is the uptime, so there is another window (larger) for NTP adjustments
to have an affect: most of the sleep time.  If ts were perfectly accurate
or larger then the correct value, then the sleep interval (measured as the
difference between uptimes) is sure to be large enough.  However, the
sleep interval measured as a difference between real times reported by
gettimeofday() may be smaller because NTP adjusts the clocks differently,
which it only does for stepping the time.

> So, does increasing HZ expose the lower accuracy of getnanouptime() and is
> that what I'm seeing?

I still don't know the reason.  Unfortunately, I deleted your original
mail so I can't run the test program in it easily.

> If so, shouldn't the time interface provided by the kernel to userland
> at least be consistently inaccurate? Or put another way, why should
> nanosleep be any less accurate than gettimeofday?

I think it can't be consistent if the time is stepped (i.e., set using
settimeofday() or clock_settime(CLOCK_REALTIME)).  The real time is the
best known approximation to the, er, real time, but most other times are
for intervals.  Having the most accurate times possible for intervals
is inconsistent with having the most accurate times possible for real
times if the real time is stepped.

> Bruce, have you seen this document: <http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/nanosleep/>?
> I'm not looking for a critique here. The document talks about the sleep
> overruns in various operatingg systems. There is a patch that was applied
> to DragonFly which aplies to the FreeBSD code base too.

I just looked.  It doesn't apply to FreeBSD.  Adding 1 to the tick
count in tvtohz() is necessary in many places in FreeBSD (e.g., for
itimers).  It happens to be just an optimizatiom in nanosleep1() for
the reasons you mentioned above (going around again fixes any
underestimate of the tick count, and overestimating by 1 avoids going
around again in most cases).

It's normal for simple test programs to take 2-epsilon ticks extra for
nanosleep(), because they get in sync with clock interrupts.  Returns
from nanosleep() normally occur epsilon seconds after a clock interrupt.
Then the kernel must wait until the next clock interrupt before returning
from the next nanosleep() even if the sleep interval is 1 nsec (unless
the kernel optimizes this operation and pessimizes others by busy-waiting
or checking on other interrupts...).  This gives a minimal sleep of
1-epsilon ticks.  The FreeBSD implementation adds an extra tick to
optimize the calculation of the minimal number of ticks.  Without this,
it would have use code like that in nanosleep1() after every sleep and
itimer interrupt to check that the interval really has expired
(underestimate the tick count a little to ensure not wasting an extra
tick, at a cost of going around once more in the usual case).

I believe dragonflybsd has high resolution timeouts which make the
issues different.  `tick' could be somthing like 10**6 and tick counts
in microseconds would be so large that off by 1 errors in them would
be too small to measure.

Bruce