Re: radeon drm code in -current

From: John Merryweather Cooper <johnmary_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:01:32 -0700
On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 10:08, George D. Gal wrote:
> Hello I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with the radeon
> drm driver in -current. It seems that sometime between Jun 22 and the
> latest -current, I have problems with the radeon drm/dri drivers loading when
> XFree starts up.
>
> The error I get when starting XFree now is:
>
>  [drm] failed to load kernel module "radeon" (II) RADEON(0): [drm] drmOpen
> failed
> (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
>
> I haven't changed anything in my XF86Config.
>
> My hardware is a Dell D600 with the Radeon 9000 video card
>
> Regards,
>  George

I've had problems, but not quite like yours.  This may be a function of
the different adapter (I have a Radeon 7000/VE).  I can't run with DRI
enabled in XF86Config since about the dates you have mentioned.  If I
load the DRI module in XF86Config and start X, my machine hard locks
shortly after the second icon in the Gnome 2.x startup sequence
displays.  Thinking that this might be Gnome-specific, I started up with
KDE 3.x instead, but it locks up also early in it's startup.  I can
avoid all this by disabling DRI in XF86Config--but it used to work
before mid-June some time.

jmc