did gbde on swap destroy some boot sectors? (and cdrom did not boot and pppoe broken in xl-driver)

From: Eugene <eugene3_at_web.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 06:30:54 +0200
stability is realy a problem at the moment... as in "Re: INSTABILITY all
around (Was: Re: STABILITY [Fwd: cvs commit: src/sys/kern kern_switch.c])"

but i knew and i know im running -current and what it means...

but now after i got used to the every day crashs and freezes without
debugger comming to help, something even more evil happend...

what can be more evil than a crash?

the system didnt came up again... what i saw was "F1 FreeBSD"... and
that it was... at first i guessed my keyboard is ugly, changed it,
booted and such actions... nothing...

ok... so lets try to fix and boot from cd... -current cd in drive... but
after it loaded some kernel it immidately crashed... and i only see some
register output... AX=... BX=... the usual stuff... the same as with a
-current cd from 10 day ago and 20 days ago... but nothing new im used
to boot cds dont like my plextor scsi drive an adaptec controller...
even some linux cds dont boot as i tried with knopix (2.4 and 2.6 kernel
just to be sure...) seems not realy freebsd relates so...

so now i was surprised the boot floppy pack of -current worked fine...
congratulations - because we had some trouble with fdc in the past...

ok... im in with a fixit floppy and tried to boot the /-partition...
doesnt work... to mount /usr works fine... ok... lets try mount -f on
/... works fine... ok...

but i dint find a way to fix the bootloader or whatever was trashed...
so i endet up reinstalling it, lost my disklabels...a nd because it was
6 am and i was tired i did newfs when readding the disklabels *g*...
last but not least... the gbde lock file was lost that way, so my other
partitions are useless now too... and i have much free hard drive space
now :-))

but now what happened? why couldnt it boot again?! the last thing i did
was enabling gbde encryption on my swaps... and swap are the first label
on each of the 3 drives...

i suspect gbde on swap broke something...

im i wrong or can someone check this please?

now when im finished reinstalling i will be more careful with gbde as
long as i dont know if this was the reason...

btw: when will the xl-driver be fixed so that pppoe will work again with
these 3com cards? i dont have replacement cards to workaround this
issue... in another thread it was spotted out this is a xl-problem
recently introduced (around 18-jun or so...)

sorry for that long bad mail... but of course i wanna use freebsd and
help debug it... but what when no debugger omes up in situations like a
crash? should i realy try that serial console feature or will it suffer
from the same no-debug-issue in such a case?

Eugene