FreeBSD v4.10 - Newbie Needs Help - KDE Really Slow !!

From: DK <asdzxc111_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:29:26 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

I just installed FreeBSD v4.10.
All installed OK & I choose KDE as the Desktop

Problem: KDE v3 is reallly SLOW!!

- Takes 2 minutes to start/load !!
- Just opening a simple Console takes almost a minute !!
- Resolution looks really grainy - as if its 256 colors - Don't know how to change this ???

My System:
Pentium 200Mhz
128MB RAM
16MB Creative Graphics Blaster Riva TNT

I have Windows 2000 installed on the Primary Boot partition & that runs very fast.
I thought that FreeBSD with KDE would run just as fast if not faster than Windows 2000 ???

If it helps, the only thing I can think of is whether the system loaded the correct Graphics Card
??
- BUT I don't know how to check this ?? - Cannot find a Display Properties like windows that lists
the Graphics Card ??

Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated :))

BTW: I searched Google Groups & freebsd Digest before posting but not much help :(

Regards,

DK