Re: HEADSUP: X.Org conversion

From: Eric Anholt <eta_at_lclark.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 03:55:41 -0700
On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 03:46, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 12:51:54AM -0500, Vulpes Velox wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:22:06 -0500 (CDT)
> > "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads_at_cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Xorg's auto-configuration is pretty awesome.  You really only need a
> > > configuration file now if you want any special customizations, font
> > > paths, etc.
> >
> > Actually from my understanding, this is also in XFree86 4.4, so not
> > really Xorg specific.
>
> yes, in fact the changelog indicates that most of the work done for
> autoconfiguration was done by David Dawes, who is not associated with
> X.Org.
>
> (come on Eric: give credit, don't take it)

I didn't take any credit here.  I didn't even mention autoconfiguration
in my email, because I seemed to remember it being committed under the
X-Oz license, in which case it wouldn't have been added to X.Org unless
there was some mistake.  I guess I was wrong, and it is in there.  (All
of my systems already have XF86Configs, and so things continue to work
fine without any additional configuration).  Yes, David Dawes did do
that work, and it is *extremely* valuable.

(Ahh, it's copyright X-Oz, but is MIT-style and not
BSD-with-big-advertising-clause like the 1.1 license)

--
Eric Anholt                                eta_at_lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt_at_FreeBSD.org