Re: Problems with interrupts on -CURRENT?

From: Don Lewis <truckman_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:46:04 -0700 (PDT)
On 23 Jul, Martin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a kernel from Mon Jul 19 01:06:15 CEST 2004 and it's
> terribly slow, especially while executing applications in
> parallel.
>
> Following symptoms:
> - mouse cursor is non-responsive for 3-5 seconds

Is it always like this, or only after a period of inactivity?  If this
only happens after a period of activity, it could be caused by the
system paging heavily and paging out the X11 server.

> - hard-disk is slow and is unusually active
>   (portupgrade needs about 15 minutes till
>   it arrives compiling first port)

Do "vmstat 10" or "iostat 10" show an unusual amount of disk actvitiy?
If so, the system could be slow because the disk is saturated.  Is there
anything that triggers this behaviour?  Do you see a lot of activity
when the system should be idle?

If you are seeing a lot more disk activity than normal, there is some
other problem besides interrupts.

> - syncer is slowly counting vnodes down and needs
>   a few seconds till it arrives at 0

This is normal.  The syncer now syncs the file systems before it shuts
down instead of immediately shutting down and deferring the file system
sync to a later stage of the system shutdown.