Questionable code in sys/dev/sound/pcm/channel.c

From: Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:35:29 -0500 (CDT)
I'm a little perplexed at the following bit of logic in chn_write()
(which is where the "interrupt timeout, channel dead" messages are
being generated).

Within an else branch within the main while loop, we have:

            else {
                timeout = (hz * sndbuf_getblksz(bs)) /
(sndbuf_getspd(bs) * sndbuf_getbps(bs));
                if (timeout < 1)
                    timeout = 1;
                timeout = 1;

Why the formulaic calculation of timeout, if it's simply going to be
unconditionally set to 1 immediately afterwards anyway?  What's going on
here?

Also, at the end of the function:

    if (count <= 0) {
        c->flags |= CHN_F_DEAD;
        printf("%s: play interrupt timeout, channel dead\n", c->name);
    }

    return ret;
}

Could it be that the conditional test is wrong here?  Perhaps
we should be using (count < 0) instead?

I don't know.  I'm having no small difficulty understanding this code,
but these two items caught my attention.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"