Re: Ok, who broke interface autoconfiguration?

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:50:56 -0400
On Wednesday 21 July 2004 12:42 am, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:05, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> > Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > > I think the key might be the dhcp server message:  "  unknown lease
> > > 0.0.0.0."
> >
> > If memory serves, the ISC DHCP software can become petulant and confused
> > by its own leases file if/when internal structures change in size.
> > Perhaps try "rm /var/db/dhc*.leases" and see whether that fixes things.
>
> I see it get confused when nothing gets changed.
>
> It sits there for $longtime (might be forever, not sure). The only fix I
> have found is to kill it, delete dhclient.leases and re-run it..
> (This is on IA32)

What happens for me is that it configures the interface for IP 0.0.0.0, but it
sends out lease requests from its earlier lease IP (10.x.x.x) rather than
0.0.0.0.  The problem for me is when I switch between my home network
(192.168.0.x) and my work network (10.x.x.x), in which cases the source IP
address it is using is invalid and I think the DHCP server is thus ignoring
the request.  Removing the leases file and restarting dhclient seems to be
the only fix.  It also seems to have recently been broken (like in the last
few weeks or months).