Re: 'sort' tool is eating my system ressources

From: Matthew Seaman <m.seaman_at_infracaninophile.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:32:52 +0100
On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:17:19AM +0200, Aurelien Nephtali wrote:

> 	Each time I launch a 'portupgrade -ak', it takes ~5min to start
> 	upgrading, eats totally my RAM and ~130Mo of swap...
> 	Doing a 'top' shows 5-6 occurences of 'sort', each one eating ~26Mo!!
> 	I can remember that before the 'sort' import, everything was fine!
> 	Somebody knows why ? or experienced that ?

Sounds like portupgrade is building an INDEX file.  You'll see a
message about running 'portsdb -Uu' if it is.  What you've seen is
pretty much the expected impact I'd expect from doing that.

You should be able to download a recently build INDEX file by running

    # make fetchindex

before starting your portupgrade -- it's about 6Mb.  After doing that
portupgrade will only need to run 'portsdb -u' which is a lot lighter
weight.

Although if your system can build the INDEX file in 5 minutes, you
might as well let it do that.  Takes more like 20 minutes on my
machine.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way