Re: A couple of SMP deadlock patches

From: Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:57:04 -0400
On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 07:29:41AM +0400, Maxim Maximov wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
> >Included below are two patches for two different potential deadlocks on
> >SMP.  The first one I have sent to the list before, but it didn't seem to
> >help anyone.  I do believe it is a fix for a possible deadlock though so
> >I'd like some more testing feedback with the aim of committing it.  The
> >second patch works around a lock order reversal introduced with the sleep
> >queue code (since sched_lock's scope was reduced) at the expense of
> >increasing the latency between a swapped out thread becoming runnable and
> >the swapper waking up to swap the process back in.
>
> I'm sorry, but for me PREEMPTION defined in kernel with these patches is
> still causing deadlocks. SMP, HTT enabled.

These changes seem totally unrelated to my instability with PREEMPTION
(so I didn't try to enable it at all, but am running with these changes).
They should instead fix some issues Kris Kennaway has been seeing with
the ports cluster (but I have not tried to reproduce myself).

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \