Re: RFC: Alternate patch to have true new-style rc.d ports scripts(without touching localpkg)

From: Alex Kapranoff <kappa_at_rambler-co.ru>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:31:47 +0400
* Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier_at_fillmore-labs.com> [July 29 2004, 18:08]:
> Alex Kapranoff wrote:
> >  The need for two versions of startup scripts for each port is highly
> >undesirable. There should be some shims for 4.x systems, I suppose,
> >for them to be able to execute extensionless rc.d scripts in simple
> >lexicographic order (and missing all the rcorder benefits).
>
> No, every port just has one version of a startup script, it is just
> *installed* under a different name, depending on OSVERSION. The
> borderline is not 4.x/5.x, it is before/after the patch (which enables
> execution of extensionless rc.d scripts). The supporting code in
> bsd.port.mk could install shims that enables newer 5.x packages to be
> used on older systems, but I would prefer not to have them.

  Ah, now I understand. 4.x systems will get .sh scripts as will do
old CURRENTs. No shims needed then (except for sysutils/rc_subr for
rc_subrified scripts, but that's already implemented).

> Thanks. Mike's patch sources scripts only into localpkg, so there is an
> additional layer, yet they can influence each other (by erroneously

  Thanks for clarification. Indeed there's a layer.

--
Alex Kapranoff.